Tuesday, July 26, 2005

for lack of anything good to write

today, i grovelled another step back into the second of two abusive relationships that i am currently far too invested in. the first, of course, is my well documented "i-can't-help-but-love-them-despite-the-fact-they-continually-beat-
me-down" relationship with united airlines.

the other? sony.

due to an upcoming job, i bought a new laptop about 6 months before i thought i would need to. despite the fact that i have no extra money and i have had nothing but trouble with my vaio notebook for the last year and a half, i went shopping. and, when i saw this little guy staring up at me with his big, ultra-bright screen and his gigabyte of memory...how could i say "no?"



it's compatible with everything i own (due to my excessive dependancy) including my desktop. i can run all of my current software on it AND do any presentation that i will ever need to while on "the job."

yep, it's the same mistake i made 3 years ago.

it will run great for the next year or so, then slowly but surely, it will start bumping into the furniture and forget to put in it's dentures. i'll give it a quick pick-me-up when windows vista comes out later next year. then, it will just be a matter of time until the slow and painful spiral into senility and uselessness begins.

sony telephone support techs in india...i got a new one. warm up your phones.

10 Comments:

Blogger ahbahsean said...

is this the week to buy computers? Two friend I know blog about this on the same day? What's up with that? I'd say it's a sign but I'd rather have living room carpet...

7:24 AM  
Blogger Dale said...

is it not the most unnerving thing to receive tech help from India? I called about my Dell once and while we were waiting for the computer to restart, I decided to make small chat with the guy.
Me-'So, how's the weather there?
Tech-'It's very hot...like 35'
Me-'35? That sounds cold to me.'
Tech-'35 Celcius'
Me-'Oh(very confused) where exactly is it 35 degrees celcius?'
Tech-'India'

I almost uninstalled Sim City 3000 I was so shocked. It sounded like he was in the NEXT ROOM. But he was, in fact, on the other side of the planet.

I remember a phone call I got from South America when I was in college from a friend of mine reminding me to pick them up. There was at least a 2 second delay. This guy could have been sitting next to me it was so clear.
The world's getting smaller, Cade. Did you feel that? That was me patting you on the shoulder poignantly.

4:23 PM  
Blogger cade said...

they may sound they're in the next room, but that doesn't mean the conversations go well. i saw a special on dateline or something once about the english training they give all those folks in india. how they use "american" names like "josh" and "mary."

those people do not work for sony. it takes me a half an hour just to spell my name to them. "c-a-d-i'm hanging up now."

7:01 PM  
Blogger Dale said...

yeah, my helper's name was 'Darren' when his real name is probably Ishwinder or Mhotnta.
Either way, enjoy your new toy for as long as you can.

9:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know, I bet there are folks over there that aren't happy with all the work going TO India...I know several guys from India that are working here at Sprint. They make so much more money here that they can come and work for about 7 years, and then move back and retire. A high end software developer over there makes about $10,000/year.
By the way, Eric, I think you need to put the credit card up. Let the plastic cool down.
(Oh, and one week till Walking Stick).

2:28 PM  
Blogger cade said...

the way i see it:

a) it's 6 months same as cash (thanks micro center!)

b) the week of work for which i bought this will pay for the computer. that's a good thing about my job.

that said, the platic is cooling until pueblo.

3:07 PM  
Blogger Dale said...

current weather forcast for Pueblo, CO for Friday, August 05. Partly Cloudy with a 40% chance of scattered afternoon showers. High of 79. Pretty close to perfect sounding for this time of year.
Better make sure you have a tee time I think.

6:30 PM  
Blogger cade said...

forecast for friday update: REVENGE

cade shoots a career-record 75 on the course that used to scoff at his puny golf swings and make him cry.

7:16 PM  
Blogger cade said...

...with a 70% chance of at least 3 wayward balls in the bottom of the gulch.

7:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

get to know nice special blog -

[url=http://trailfire.com/adipex_online_f13?tab=Comments] generic ambien [/url]

http://trailfire.com/adipex_online_f13?tab=Comments
[url=http://trailfire.com/adipex_online_f13?tab=Comments] ambien com [/url]

1:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home