Wednesday, May 03, 2006

oh yeah. THAT's why i'm doing this

the scene: the newly (almost) finished basement performance space at vagabond records/epiphany books (aka: the cave; aka: the cellar; aka: chez epiphabond; aka: the dust bowl)

the event: the maiden voyage of the two.dollar.rock.show

the band: endless mike and the beagle club (total members: 6)

the audience: (total members, including employes): 5

ok, so here would be where i should insert the "lessons learned" part about the do's and don'ts of local live music marketing.

but, instead, i am going to concentrate on the positive. endless mike and the beagle club (site) are what live music is about. a group of guys (and a gal) enjoying the hell out of playing their music. even if it is for virtually no one. the tunes were infectious. the lyrics were witty and soulful. it was a genuine good time for those of us there. and this was the moment i remembered why i love music.

i want to be involved with it. not so much on the "going to the boston garden and seeing madonna play "live"" level, but on the "here are people who love music as much if not more than i do and can actually do something about it" level. i want to be involved with these people. i love being surrounded by those who cherish the power and importance of what music can do. i love it when band members complement each other to make the whole product even better. i have long since given up my dream of being the next adam clayton (my "one wish," for those keeping track, is to "make it" as part of a band. not a rockstar mind you. but part of a band.) i am happy with my role of absorbing new music and spreading to those i know. and i know that my love for the guitar is mostly limited to it's collectable status.

basically, my gift is not as a musician. but, that does not mean i can't be surrounded by and involved in music on a daly basis.

maybe i should start a record store. *ding*

so, here i am, 8 months and nearly $10k after the fact, finally realizing that THIS IS what i want to do. THIS IS where i want to be. my soul knew it all along, but my heart didn't catch up until tonight.

my thanks go out to this little group from johnstown, pa and a to city that basically ignored our little experiment tonight. because of this, i am slowly starting to realize my role in this great universe called "music."

now, if i can just get some customers to join me on my journey.

3 Comments:

Blogger Dones said...

Congratulations. You've gotta start somewhere.

My sister-in-law is a singer-songwriter in Chicago. I'll make sure she looks you up if she makes a New England tour. Not that she'll particularly draw a bigger crowd than you had tonight, but it's worth a shot...

(link is here. Links to her music are somewhere down the left side of the page.)

9:26 PM  
Blogger Agent B said...

AWW...great post man. That's the stuff. Right there.

Inspiring words.

Don't get fooled again.

3 chords, the truth, and your passion.

9:47 PM  
Blogger ahbahsean said...

Let me know how I can help.

I like seeing you this excited about the store.

7:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home