Saturday, February 04, 2006

ready for the big game

i can't wait.

tomorrow is the biggest game of the year. the one the fans have waited for all season. two teams, with everything to prove will meet in a epic battle.

a battle in lawrence, kansas. between the #18 sooners of oklahoma and the jayhawks of kansas. not necessarily. a "must win" for the 'hawks. but it would be a great one if it happened.

oh, and there is some football game on too...so i hear.

speaking of the super bowl, (it's "in detroit this year....the home of robocop.") here's a funny little story:

so, my mom calls me yesterday from hawaii (a fact that should be noted as she has called me at LEAST every other day from hawaii. apparently the concept of a "vacation" is still a work in progress for my mother) for no reason other than to update me on the weather in maui. the conversation turned thusly:

mom: so are you excited about the superbowl?
me: uh, i guess.
mom: i guess i want the steelers to win. i've kind of always liked the steelers for some reason.
me: huh. well, i guess i kind of want the seahawks to win just 'cause it would be neat to see mike holmgren (father of friend and former FR staffer, emily. (we partied at his summer house A LOT. but that is for another blog)) win it again.
mom: oh, that's right. i forgot he coached there.
me: yeah, he does. shouldn't you be snorkelling or something?
mom: okay, well, i'll let you go.
me: alright. bye.

ladies and gentlemen, you have just witnessed the transcript from THE ONLY conversation my mom and i have ever had regarding football. my mom's a steelers' fan?!? what the...?

i guess it takes the horrible, dreary, boring island of maui to bring out the most obscure of facts about my mother. well, if the steelers do win, i guess that will give her another reason to call me monday...not that she'll need to find one.

10 Comments:

Blogger Dale said...

I've been to Maui, it has that effect on people. For instance, when I was there, I realized that, after an 8 hour plane ride, I didn't appreciate having to wait while my father and brother argued about what size jar of mayonaise to buy for an agonizing 5 minutes. Also, I learned that riding a bike down a 10,000 foot peak to the ocean is way cool.

It's that kind of stuff you can only learn while on Maui.

8:01 PM  
Blogger Dones said...

Chipper's dad is also the only reason I am interested in the game, and cheering for the Seahawks. Even if she did think the secondary love story in Braveheart was 'sweet'. (Again, something for another blog)

I knew when you were talking about the 'big game' that you were referring to the noon tipoff, not the 5:30 one. Go Hawks!

My Mom, interestingly enough, did not call me when she was on Maui, although that sounds like something she would do. And I think it's terrible that she is calling from Maui to Massachusetts in February to talk to you about the weather!

8:05 AM  
Blogger cade said...

the weather is the least of it. she has called for many different reasons. oh well, that is not important.

what IS important is that 17 pt comeback the 'hawks just pulled off with 5 minutes left!

holy crap!

12:23 PM  
Blogger Dale said...

un-BEEE-LEEE-vable!!!

I had given up and was playing with my son in another room when I came back to check and we're only down 4?!?!

My bad, I should be more faithful...

2:06 PM  
Blogger Before Girl said...

I'm mostly proud of the fact that I didn't even know who was playing in the Superbowl until about 3pm yesterday afternoon (the day of the Superbowl), nor did I know what channel it was on, or even what time it started. I found it even funnier that the guy I asked these questions of was a rock wall climber and he didn't know, either.

5:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My wife now thinks I'm psycho due to how much I was jumping up and down and silently screaming (the kids were napping) as KU was making the come back and the astounding victory. It's nice to see KU being the team to erase a large point margin from the opposing team instead of the other way around.

7:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

One of the all time great games. If only we could figure out how to play an ENTIRE game like we did the last 7 minutes...

12:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not that it matters...but are you kidding me? Colorado (destroyed by KU and just lost badly to Iowa St.)still ranked #25 in one of the poles, Oklahoma barely dropped rankings, and KU...not ranked. It's probably good were not ranked so it gives us the added motivating edge, but it still hurts.

12:43 PM  
Blogger cade said...

it doesn't bother me at all that we arent in the rankings this week. we will be by the time the tourney rolls around and we will be nice and settled at a 5-ish seed.

that said, colorado not falling out is ridiculous. i understand ou not moving (they did play a solid game, 1 point loss on the road, etc) but colorado? i don't know.

3:26 PM  
Blogger Dale said...

I saw Colorado play in Boulder last month...they're very suspect. And you can't overlook the fact that Ricardo Patton is their coach...just like Kelvin Sampson


that sounds racial, but it isn't

5:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home