Monday, July 16, 2007

my top 10 concerts

my recent trip to tampa has got me thinking. where exactly do the police rank on my all-time list of concerts? so, here's another of my overblown and self-indulgent lists. top ten concerts i have attended thus far:

10) the ramones - 06/27/96 - longview lake - kansas city, mo - lollapalooza '96: with little exaggeration, quite possibly the worst experience of my life. but that is for another post. this particular festival was rife with big names...but it didn't seem to matter. metallica? sucked. soundgarden? sucked. rancid? sucked, (but they are pretty much supposed to suck.) the only glimmer of "non-awfulness" was getting to see the quintessential punkers play from about 20 feet away. the energy was there. the attitude was there. joey was as terrifying in person as i could have ever imagined. it was a slice of rock history that made me forget about the long, gray, horrible pair of summer days that i was in the middle of.

9) phil collins - 07/25/94 - sandstone amphitheater - bonner springs, ks - despite the inherent uncool factor, mr. collins has always been a favorite of mine. and he puts on a dang good show. he got his start in theatre...then genesis (which WAS theatre for the most part) so it's no surprise his shows were always deeply theatrical. from the set all the way to the ending (a 15 minute version of "take me home" which saw each band member disappear from the stage until just phil was left singing as he put on his coat and hat and left) the show was pure entertainment.

(NOTE: this is the only entry on the list that took place at my least favorite venue of all time. i have seen many of my favorite bands at sandstone (REM, toad the wet sprocket, even chicago) and all the shows were mediocre at best. if a person could have a place as a nemesis...sandstone would be mine.)

8) midnight oil - 07/09/02 - beaumont club - kansas city, mo - imagine for a moment, that you are back in high school. now picture your top 4 favorite bands at the time. now fast forward 10 years and imagine yourself seeing one of those bands. not in a large arena as the other 3 have long since come to tour through, but rather a small club in the bar district of your hometown. midnight oil played that night to about 100 of us. they were all pushing 50 and half a world away from home...and still played like they loved music more than life itself. in it for the fans. in it for the music. what's not to love?

7) beck - 01/28/00 - midland theater - kansas city, mo - for the love of crimony, go see this man in concert. you will not be disappointed. words can't describe how crazy and how awesome he is live.

6) over the rhine - 07/02/94 - cornerstone festival - bushnell, il - the first time i ever saw OTR. they were still a 4-piece. the entire stage was lit with candles and very little else. it was a midnight show. karen was radiant. linford was lost in the music. it was unbelievably beautiful.

5) ben folds five - 10/24/95 - the hurricane - kansas city, mo
- hardly anyone knew who they were, this little band from north carolina with the brilliant front man. they tore the 'cane apart. i've seen ben several times since, this was the only time i saw the five. i liked their debut album before that night, but i was a "fan" after it. if you ever got a chance to see one of your favorite bands before they hit it big, you know exactly what i am saying.

4) the police - 07/11/07 - st. pete times forum - tampa, fl - the questions were abundant. can they possibly still be as good as they were 20+ years ago? will it be worth the ticket price? will they play some of their lesser known stuff? will stewart storm off stage in the middle of the show, thus ending the reunion? the answers, gloriously: yes. yes. yes. and no. three crazily talented and egotistical rock icons that play together better than anyone. it was well worth the wait. and special kudos for the best use of lights/video i have ever seen. and special SPECIAL kudos to the drunk in front of us for "keeping it real."

3) waterdeep - 05/01/04 - new earth coffee house - kansas city, mo - the "farewell to touring" concert of the greatest band that no one has ever heard. all of their concerts were great. but this one at the new earth, their birthplace and home for 10 years, was special. 2-hour acoustic set upstairs followed by a 2-hour electric set downstairs. the kicker was that ALL of the ORIGINAL MEMBERS came back and played on their respective songs. watching the original five guys play "to chase away the birds" was something i never thought i would get to experience again. the whole evening was magic. i think i smiled for a month afterward.

2) U2 - 05/26/05 - fleet center - boston, ma
- 1992-the zootv tour: my ticket was sold to someone else because of a miscommunication. 2001-elevation tour: couldn't make the road trip with a group of friends at the last minute. 2005-vertigo tour: i wasn't going to miss it. it's as someone described to me once...a "religious experiecne." i wept. i admit it.

1) depeche mode - 10/17/93 - st. louis arena - st. louis, mo - saw them twice on this tour, but the outdoor version had NOTHING on the original. a newly-clean dave gahan led this charge into modern-rock perfection. the opening (ceiling to floor sheets with 40 ft silhouettes of the band fading in and out to the driving swell of "higher love" erupting into a frenzy of "i feel you") and closing (a completely drained crowd singing along to "everything counts" despite voices that had long been shot) alone would put it in the top 10. fortunately, they had about 20 songs in between that churned this concert to the front.

honorable mentions (aka- rounding out the top 15): johnny cash, garbage, billy joel WITH elton john, lionel richie circa 1984, planet party '93 (midnight oil, matthew sweet, TMBG, and another awesome drunk guy.)

let's hear yours. go.

32 Comments:

Blogger Dones said...

Jennifer Knapp, New Earth Coffeehouse. Upstairs. 199-something. I've never before (and never again) gone to a concert and came away feeling like I knew the person.

I was also at the Waterdeep's Farewell to Touring concert, for the first set, anyway. It was lovely.

I was also at the Phil Collins 'Both Sides' tour concert in '94, and I agree there was something in the air that night.

Spirit West Coast, Laguna Seca, CA, July 1998. Caedmon's Call, The Kry, OC Supertones...all good things.

Billy Joel, Kemper Arena, October 17th, 1994. 7th row on the side behind the stage. Thank the Lord he performed in the round...he sang the 2nd verse of Pressure right to me.

5:17 PM  
Blogger cade said...

i should add that o'hare would be my actual "place nemesis" but sandstone would be a close 2nd.

dones- i do not accept your phil collins pun. it has been stricken from the record.

i've seen billy 3 times, i think that at least one of them should be on the list. i don't really have a reason for them not being. i guess billy/elton being an HM is good enough.

jennifer knapp does work some magic. i guess she just never approached don for me.

5:25 PM  
Blogger Dale said...

great list...glad to have gone to see Collins with you...if only Kurt were alive, that's one concert I would pay through the nose to see

5:27 PM  
Blogger Dale said...

no...i'm not over it...i saw a picture of that (*#^@ Courtney Love the other day and was just so, so, so sad that Cobain is dead


I also had a lot of fun when I saw Mortal at NECH

5:30 PM  
Blogger Agent B said...

PS - get Phil back where he belongs...behind the kit backing Gabriel.

Off the top of my head:

1) Living Colour - Feb 1989 - some dive night club in Houston. I was 18. My first "real" club concert. I thought I was gonna get killed. It was cool.

2) Edie Brickell & the New Bohemians - 1991? - some dive in Lubbock. I think it was their next to last gig ever.

3) King Crimson - Oct 31, 1995 - Ft. Worth. Guy in front of me was dressed in a cow suit, complete with "nipples" at his crotch. Double trio line up. Best...music...ever. I'm a huge nerd. Before encore, some jackass in the balcony threw a jewel cased CD to the stage and nailed R. Fripp in the forehead. Bad move.

4) Yes - Summer 2002 - Dallas. Had all the cool guys (Wakeman & Howe). I am a nerd

5) Emerson, Lake, and Palmer. - August 1992 - outdoor theater at the San Antonio Zoo. A very Spinal Tap moment. I got a bunch of 50 year old hippies to slam dance with me to the organ solo of Bach Toccatta & Fugue. I'm a nerd.

8:30 PM  
Blogger Mike Murrow said...

i don't have a top ten but if i did just about any waterdeep show would be on it - including any of the informal times they played at the house in Lawrence before they were really anything with nick and the others.

also on there would be any Against Me concert. but they might get bumped cause the other bands they play with usually suck.

how did i know that ohare would actually be your worst place on earth?

10:38 PM  
Blogger james said...

B,

You got to see Living Colour and Edie Brickell? That's pretty awesome.

Yeah, I gotta throw U2 in the mix. Very much the "religious experience"

The Crucified - Cornerstone 92'

Midnight Oil - The Avalon, Boston 2002

5:22 AM  
Blogger E and K said...

Okay...please forgive my youth and poor taste. These should by no means be considered favorites, yet they are the only concerts for me to comment on as they are the only ones I've attended...

Boyz II Men (Sandstone)
Hootie and the Blowfish (Sandstone)
Garth Brooks (Kemper?)

Please do not ban me from the blog now : )

I realized as I read through your post that I like your concerts a lot more...for whatever reason I haven't attended many. Maybe I need to change that.

Also, I was at New Earth on New Year's eve once but I don't know who it was that I saw.

5:42 AM  
Blogger cade said...

ky, you wear that boyz II men concert like the badge of honor it is. stand proud.

b- ditto on your supposed "nerd"ness.

mike - i don't think the POD jams count as concerts, but i like where your brain is.

5:51 AM  
Blogger Dones said...

Came up with a few more:

Jars of Clay, Granada, Lawrence, KS, 2002 (I think). The only time I have ever set foot in the Granada without seeing a movie.

Huckleberry, with Lori Coscia (at the time) at the White House. 'Silver Sword' live was ... unspeakably fantastic.

MC Hammer, Kemper Arena, KCMO, 1989 (I think). The Please Hammer Don't Hurt 'Em Tour. Vanilla Ice & En Vogue opened. This was the Ice, Ice Baby heyday and the entire crowd rapped the lyrics at the top of their lungs. En Vogue only had one hit at the time ('Hold On'), but their cover of 'Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy' was quite memorable. And Hammer was awesome. I refuse to be ashamed of that concert, as every one of my friends at the time were right there with me.

6:44 AM  
Blogger cade said...

how did you survive in lawrence without ever going to 80's night at the granada?

7:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Um...Cade...no offense, but are you much older than I have always assumed?

9:15 AM  
Blogger leanne said...

New Kids on the Block, Worcester Centrum, December 31, 1989.

I mean, come on. It was Joey's 17th birthday, and when he sang "Please Don't Go Girl," he was singing it to me.

In all seriousness, though, the top 3:

U2, Elevation tour. The Boston show I attended was a better set, but the Providence venue brought a much better feel.

DMB & Dispatch. I know, I KNOW. Nothing better than over-hyped college cult bands. But for real, these two live (not together) were incredible shows.

9:22 AM  
Blogger cade said...

ali, if 32 is old...then guilty.

9:42 AM  
Blogger Agent B said...

Oh yeah, I am a nerd. Or...a huge sucker for 70's prog rock.

One LP. Three 14 minute "songs".

That's all I need.

2:44 PM  
Blogger Agent B said...

and oh yeah, I loved Living Colour. Before the gig at a record store, I got to meet them, get autographs and take b&w photos that I developed in my photography class. Or maybe it was a friend that took the photos. But I made copies.

2:46 PM  
Blogger Mike Murrow said...

for sure they wouldn't qualify, but they stick in my head you know?

4:23 PM  
Blogger james said...

Dude...i would love to see those photos B. I absolutely loved the album Vivid. Vernon Reid, while a little sloppy, was a pretty amazing guitarist.

4:39 PM  
Blogger f o r r e s t said...

Wow, the Police made your top 10. I have heard nothing but bad reviews on their reunion tour.

I agree, Sandstone/Verizon is horrible. I have only seen one show there and that was Coldplay on their X&y tour and I just couldn't feel the energy that I did when they played Memorial Hall for Rush of Blood...

I would like to have put Depeche Mode somewhere on my list, but the David Gahan Disappeared about 8 songs into the set and never came back.

I don't know where to start with my list.

I've seen U2 on their ZooTV, POP, Elevation, and Vertigo tours and that would probably be my top 4.

Over the Rhine is always amazing and I love their midnight shows at Cornerstone.

Damien Rice at Liberty Hall in Lawrence blew me away.

Sigur Ros's Takk tour was a highlight of mine last year and that was a religous experience.

Bill Mallonee played at a dive bar in KC a few years ago in front of like 20 people - that was cool.

The Violet Burning is always good.

I don't think I'll die happy until I see the Innocence Mission.

Pedro the Lion at Cornerstone 2001 gave me goosebumps. Never heard the band or seen them before. After, the show I bought everything they had on disc.

I have seen a lot of great Cornerstone shows and a lot of good shows at the New Earth. Too bad it closed.

Who is Dones? Do I know him or her?

11:01 AM  
Blogger cade said...

dones is donald. he was my roommate in latter college. i'm not sure if your paths ever crossed or not.

as for the police...they really could have come out and played on cardboard cut-outs of instruments and it still would have made the top 10.

fortunately, they didn't.

not real sure why there is no mallonee on my list. i guess he is just so familiar now that even when it's an intimate location...it still is just bill up there. i don't know.

i miss cornerstone...and by that i mean what it USED to be.

1:16 PM  
Blogger f o r r e s t said...

I miss cornerstone too.

Has Cornerstone changed or have we grown? I think I last went for all four days in 2001. And I remember thinking that I never need to do that again. I might have gone in 2002 for just Friday and Saturday to catch OTR.

But now that I have been a few years removed and I keep getting the catelog in the mail, I am itching for a return some year. Although, if I do go back I'll probably be hanging in the Galleria Stage. All my bands are older and this is the stage where the old foggies play.

I hope to take my boys when they get old enough. That'll be fun.

2:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've never been a big concert-goer...something about other people ruining the experience. So, my list isn't extensive. But here's a top 5, er, 6...

6. Ben Folds/John Mayer, Sandstone. John Mayer is one of the few artists I like better live...takes most of his songs and turns them into 15 minute blues/jams. Wish he'd just do that instead of some of the bubble gum radio stuff.

5. Michael Buble, Memorial Hall.
Great "act". Fantastic performer.

4. Beck. Same concert. Ditto accolades.

3. Phil Collins, same concert. Ditto accolades.

2. Waterdeep, pretty much any of them, but their last in particular.

1. Spilt Meniscus, Ellsworth Hall.
It may have only been one song ("Under the Sea" remake), but it was incredibly memorable.

Honorable Mention:
War, Nightclub in London, England. Memorable because, well, I was in London.

3:31 PM  
Blogger cade said...

1. Spilt Meniscus, Ellsworth Hall.

we have a winner.

3:47 PM  
Blogger f o r r e s t said...

I was waiting for the Spilt Meniscus to show up on this list.

5:03 PM  
Blogger Dones said...

Dave,
I was also at the Ben Folds/John Mayer concert at Sandstone (I refuse to call it Verizon Wireless without bitterness). While John Mayer did a terrific job, I thought Ben's set was WAY too short, especially given the comparative bodies of work between the two performers. I know that a) I'm a much bigger Ben Folds fan than John Mayer and b) John was headlining it, but still, he didn't even do Brick or Army or...a dozen other songs. It made me want to find him playing someplace without any other acts on the ticket.

Also, the unknown band who had the first act was really good. Do you remember who that was? Damian somebody?

6:18 PM  
Blogger Dones said...

Nevermind, I looked him up: it's Brett Dennen. He did real well for a 'nobody'.

6:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll admit, we turned up late on purpose to miss the first act, so I couldn't tell you. But I'll definitely agree with Ben's set being too short. And a pretty unresponsive/unappreciative crowd...it was definitely a more John Mayer crowd. At least they did Underground, which is my favorite song.

7:10 PM  
Blogger ahbahsean said...

First concert ever: Michael W. Smith, with DC Talk opening for him.

Best concerts:
1. Damien Rice, The Pageant, StL
2. Alison Krauss & Union Station, Fox Theatre, StL
3. Patty Griffin, The Pageant, StL
4. Rich Mullins, St. Matthews Methodist Church, Belleville, IL
5. Over The Rhine, Blueberry Hill, StL

5:06 AM  
Blogger postmaned said...

I have only been to two on your list. Beck and Waterdeep, and I would agree that if you haven't seen Beck you should. I saw him in Santa Cruz over 10 years ago when I worked at Mission Springs. Some guy in the audience hopped up on the stage and gave his bass player (a chick) a big ol' kiss. She in turn took the neck of her bass and whacked him over the head, he jumped off the stage, and the security came running.
Dan Scharenberrg

11:52 AM  
Blogger postmaned said...

I also meant to mention, about a year ago I was driving my son around KC, and thought I would show him the New Earth, and it was closed and all boarded up. Don't know what happened, but it isn't opened anymore.
Dan

7:13 AM  
Blogger caramac said...

yes....ben folds, beck and waterdeep (yes, i've heard of them). three of my faves, though i've still never seen ben in concert. mmmm.

10:04 PM  
Blogger cade said...

dan,

a few years ago, sheldon decided it was time to close up the new earth. i believe it was a quiet affair, don may have played. he had been at it for a long time and the money just wasn't coming in like it did.

as long as they don't bulldoze the place. it needs to reopen as something cool.

8:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home