Tuesday, August 22, 2006

penultimate-ness

we are in the home stretch of our countdown to the 100 favorite POP songs. getting close to some real doozies (in my opinion anyway.)

no set ups this round. i will just let the songs speak for themselves.

40 - "dreams" / the cranberries -- everybody else is doing it, so why can't we? (1993) track 2 - simply put, this song makes me feel like the best darn air-drummer in the whole world.
39 - "the promise" / when in rome -- when in rome (1988) track 1 - it's a lovely and often overlooked one-hitter from the 80s. just try and NOT sing along...i double-dog dare you.
38 - "everybody wants to rule the world" / tears for fears -- songs from the big chair (1985) track 3 - tears for fears are one of the few bands i can actually claim original listenership to from the reagan-era. none of this 10 year later discovery that happens when one is too young to remember. anyway, this is probably too simple of a choice, but it's a great freakin' song.
37 - "the stairs" / inxs -- x (1990) track 3 - the hidden diamond in the inxs catalogue. it follows it's brother disappear but in many ways, far outshines it.
36 - "drums of heaven" / midnight oil -- earth and sun and moon (1993) track 7 - if you have never heard anything by midnight oil, do yourself a favor and find/buy/download "earth and sun and moon." if you are not completely satisfied, i will buy it from you.*
35 - "something" / the beatles -- abbey road (1969) track 2 - potentially the greatest love song ever written. i only say potentially because there may be a more obscure one lurking in the wings further down the list. either way, george harrison was awesome.
34 - "special" / garbage -- version 2.0 (1998) track 5 - 3 average white guys from milwaukee and a scottish bombshell. the ingredients for a killer band if you ask me. this is them at their sonic richest.
33 - "prelude/angry young man" / billy joel -- turnstiles (1976) track 6 - some would argue this is my un-official theme song, but it really comes down to one thing: billy can't play this song sitting down. he can't. that's how cool it is.
32 - "sometimes" / ours -- distorted lullabies (2001) track 4 - ever had one of those "why have i never heard this" moments? if you haven't heard this brutally beautiful anthem...then you just had one.
31 - "just like heaven" / the cure -- kiss me kiss me kiss me (1987) track 8 - leave it to me to pick the cheeriest of all cure tunes. what can i say? i like the dark songs, but they just aren't this catchy.
30 - "leaving town" / dexter freebish -- a life of saturdays (2000) track 1 - finally, the 3rd and final song that saved 2000 for me. call it a one-hit wonder. but, i love me some one-hit wonders. i'm still waiting for their triumphant return.
29 - "lonely sometimes" / waterdeep -- sink or swim (1999) track 5 - some songs break your heart. this one shattered mine. over and over again for a long, long time.
28 - "within a room" / sixpence none the richer -- this beautiful mess (1995) track 4 - a master stroke in the unique sound that was "pre-kiss me" sixpence. this towering ode to pain in life holds so many spots in my heart...not the least of which was hearing it performed live for the first time ever (perfectly of course) followed by dinner with the band. but i digress.
27 - "the ocean song" / the regulars -- glimmerdays (1998) track 5 - call it nepotism, but i have some incredibly gifted friends. in the years after huckleberry and before red guitar, nick nave made this "solo" project. as beautiful as its namesake, this song is a must for anyone who feels pulled a direction they don't understand.
26 - "street fighting man" / the rolling stones -- beggar's banquet (1968) track 6 - watch v for vendetta. listen to the closing credits. and you will agree with me. it was on the list before that movie came out, but not nearly as high.
25 - "running to stand still" / U2 -- the joshua tree (1987) track 5 - for all the brilliance that is "the joshua tree," the quietest song on the album is the one that will not let go of me. it's a devastating song.
24 - "synchronicity II" / the police -- synchronicity (1983) track 6 - hands down, my favorite melody line...period. sting could sing about random things like lemmings and lake slime and it would still be awesome. oh wait, he does.
23 - "penny lane" / the beatles -- magical mystery tour (1967) track 9 - i once again play the nostalgia card. john and paul wanted to write a song about the things they remembered growing up in liverpool. and they brought the whole world along with them. that takes some talent.
22 - "me in honey" / r.e.m. -- out of time (1991) track 11 - the quartet from athens, ga is one of my all-time favorites. but, with all of their hits, of course, i opt for an album ending obscure track that sounds more like a jam session than a song. a fantastic jam session with kate pierson and a driving guitar hook.
21 - "welcome to struggleville" / vigilantes of love -- welcome to struggleville (1994) track 1 - from a lyrics standpoint (i know, i know) i have to point out that bill mallonee is my favorite lyricist. he seemlessly blends the inane with the beautiful. the tragic with the hopeful. and he's not a half bad musician either. if the title alone doesn't get you, the stark imagery of what it means to live this life which we all are most certainly will.

almost there kiddos. almost there.

* - i'm not joking.

7 Comments:

Blogger ahbahsean said...

This section made me bounce up and down in my labstool a little bit.

Bounce #1. In the car this morning, I heard The Cranberries and though, hmm, where is ECade's Dreams on the list... now i know.

Bounce #2. I forgot about The Promise. Thank you for reminding me.

Bounce #3. This is getting excited...Everybody Wants to Rule the World is my favorite Tears for Fears. Yeah, for goofy looking guys!

aww, and ahh for a bit...pensive thoughts, etc. :)

Bounce #4. Angry Young Man, i don't have to explain that to you though.

Bounce #5. I'd been waiting for #30 for a while now.

Bounce #6. Is this their first time on this chart...sheesh. Happy day.

Where's my Toad at, Mister?

9:03 AM  
Blogger ahbahsean said...

Bounce #6 was in regard to Ocean Song... sorry about that...

9:04 AM  
Blogger Dones said...

Thoughts in no particular order (aka Random Acts of Mind?):

#1. ahbahsean, don't ever, ever forget The Promise. I forgot once, then Napoleon Dynamite chastised me for forgetting.

#2. Prelude/Angry Young Man: Some things I will forget. Watching/hearing Billy Joel play this is not one of them.

#3. I had actually forgotten the Ocean Song. Fortunately the CD was about 10 inches from me in my big black case. Listening to it now, and remembering their concert at Dos Hombres, when I thought Davis Hock was the greatest bass player ever. Then I mentioned that thought to you and you said, "He's no bass player." :)

#4. I've missed a lot of the songs on this segment of the list. Gonna hafta catch up.

#5. Silly ahbahsean, the final 20 is all Toad and Waterdeep and the Choir. Plus maybe one or two more 80s songs in there. We haven't seen "The Safety Dance" yet, among other notables...

7:28 PM  
Blogger cade said...

i said a lot of things in college. but i never said that davis was no bass player. if you recall, it was mr hock himself who referred to himself as "no bass player."

safety dance, huh? shoot. now i have to start over.

8:21 PM  
Blogger cade said...

and by the way, dones. you know me too well. but i bet you'll still be surprised.

9:26 PM  
Blogger Dones said...

Man, I wish I had time; I'd set up a Top 20 prediction. Unfortunately, some of the ones I would have picked for you have already been listed. Lemme see...yeah, I can come up with about half of them, though some are vague, safe guesses. (Posting now)

8:35 AM  
Blogger Dones said...

Okay, I ran out. And as for actual song predictions, I'm sure I'm way off on most of them. It's been long enough since I've shared your music collection that many of your favorites are newer than, say, 8 years old. Go figure.

I think it would be revealing to put together a list of favorite songs since graduating college.

8:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home