Saturday, March 26, 2005

not quite "pittsnogled," but still bad

...and the madness continues.

a full week has passed since the devastating embarassment that was bucknell over kansas. basketball must be watched regardless, so i wound myself up tighter than a drum again tonight for the pivotal of all pivotal nights in this year's tourney.

game 1: albuquerque regional final: (4)louisville vs (7)west virginia

game 2: chicago regional final: (1)illinois vs (3)arizona

two games that i HAD to win to all but cement my victory in this year's "office" pool. final payout for the winner: $200.

game 1: louisville, my ill-advised but somehow not-so-crazy-now national champion, was blown out by as much as 20 in the first half and all looked bleak. que the second half comeback. they fought back, overcoming ridiculous three-pointers from wvu to tie it at 77 with 38 seconds left. what's this? hope? okay, let's do this. in overtime, the cardinals took control and finally won 93-85. what a game.

i sat in my chair, grasping for air. a feeling that i exclusively reserve for close ku games overcame me. i truly love this game.

then, it was time for the second game. (truth be told, if it comes down to illinois vs north carolina...i want illinois to roll the 'heels because i don't want roy williams to ever win a championship. yes, i'm bitter. get used to it.) that said, i had 'zona upseting the mighty illini in the chicago bracket. all in all, it was a stellar game that showed two teams fighting and keeping right in step with each other. then, in an apparent act of malice toward me, arizona started to pull away in the second half, thus elevating my hopes. could this really happen? could i get both of my two remaining final four teams in tonight and push my nearest competition back beyond arm's length?

-arizona up by 15 with 4 minutes to go.

-cade is excited. again, the feeling returns.

-illinois mounts the second, miraculous comeback of the night.

-arizona does everything it can as a team to ensure my misery. squanders 15 point lead.

-overtime.

-'zona keeps my heart in a constant state of attack by clawing back to a measly one-point deficit with mere seconds remaining in OT.

-arizona decides that instead of attempting the game-winning shot with about 11 seconds left, they should have a tea party and eventually throw up the ugliest shot i have ever seen at the buzzer.

-shot misses. final score: illinois 90 - arizona 89.

-cade drops to fourth in the bracket pool. fourth place gets $0. cade throws up.

so now, thanks to the team of wildcats that didn't want to go to the final four when their chance was handed to them, louisville, my ill-advised and certain-to-fail-me national champion, pretty much has to win it all.

do i think they can? sure, why not.

will they?

you be the judge.

4 Comments:

Blogger james said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

5:36 AM  
Blogger james said...

Yes, count this tournament as one of the greater suck-ass tournaments of the last 20 years.

Everyday it looks more and more like the two teams I generally despise, will be squaring off in the finals.

5:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had my hand on the phone to call you after the Illinois win, and then decided that I valued my life far too much to make that call. Is it any consolation to know that you are thisclose to half of the winnings from my pool? No, it won't be $200, but it's better than $0.

8:53 AM  
Blogger cade said...

lainie,

you were very wise not to call. you know me well. i can safely say that my hatred for arizona rose quite a bit on saturday. how can a team choke like that? i don't get it.

that's just the way it goes in bracketville, i guess.

i should have just stuck to the picks i made for you. but, i would have had to burn my pen if i wrote in illinois at the champs.

12:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home