Sunday, February 06, 2005

i hate to be a downer but...

i am very, very ashamed at myself right now.

every year, as the academy awards roll around, i make it a point to see as many of the movies nominated in the major categories as possible. this year, i have (at post time) seen all of the best picture nominees and most of the acting award nominees. as of this morning, the only two movies i was lacking and had a desire to see were closer (supporting actor: clive owen; supporting actress: natalie portman) and hotel rwanda (actor: don cheadle; supporting actress: sophie okonedo).

so, fulfilling my duty, i went to see hotel rwanda this afternoon so i could "cross it off my list." what followed was a personal lesson in getting my ass kicked for being so incredible shallow. suddenly, seeing a movie simply so i can be "more educated" on oscar night showed me how truly uneducated i am.

this movie, while maybe not the BEST movie i've seen in years (although i could probably argue that,) was certainly the most IMPORTANT one i've seen in years.

i just wanted to take the time, not to review the film or it's performances (which are incredible,) but to vent a little at myself for the life of ignoance and comfort i choose to live. i was so moved by the people and the impossible situations in this film. i was reminded in such a real way of the absolute horror that exists in this world of ours. that the reality of life for parts of the world relies on family and survival despite unbelievable adversity, not on the fact that the heater doesn't work in my car or that i only have enough spending money to buy ONE dvd this week.

truly, i just want to openly evaluate my world view before i go and watch the ever-important superbowl and begin the process of letting my uneasiness slowly slip away, as i forget about this momentary feeling and recomform to the selfish and materialistic life that i have built for myself. but before i do that, i want to remember what i learned: and that is there is a lot of pain and injustice out there and a lot of joy to be found in simplest of moments.

i wish i could say that this will change me, but i know myself too well.

i urge you all to see hotel rwanda. i'm not saying everyone will have the same reaction, but believe me, it's worth it to find ot.

2 Comments:

Blogger g13 said...

thanks for opening a vein.

2:12 PM  
Blogger joolz said...

I'm really glad you posted this. I'm going to see it this weekend, and I'm going to come back and reread this after the movie.

2:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home